Parent should ask himself this question before choosing a sport activity for their child. In a society in which sedentariness is ever more frequent, it would be necessary to start planning and dedicating daily some hours to movement and sport activity.
Often parents believe that it is sufficient signing up their own child to a sport activity that involves 1 or 2 hours a week. In reality, if we analyse the way in which a kid’s life develops, we find out that chances to move or train himself are slim:
- The way to school almost always by car or public transport.
- At school, kids are seated and during the break they can’t run.
- Physical education at school: often poor or absent (we exclude professional teachers)
- The way back to home: as the way to school
- In the afternoon they do homework, watch television or play videogames;
- Barnyard games: poor or absent (security problem, lack of space, restrictive regulations that ban games)
- Parents that prohibit to get dirty or sweat (present and not too uncommon)
- In the evening they dine and watch the tv.
Include in this picture also a nutrition too often low in quality and high in quantity, and 2 hours of sport per week. Probably, the activity starts at the end of September, breaks for Christmas, Easter and stops in summer: so, we are talking about a very few hours of sport per year.
Therefore, how many hours of movement or training should kids carry out?
The answer is simple: specialists in the sector agree that, adding up spontaneous game and sport activity, a kid should move himself continuously at least or 2 hours daily. This is to contrast the sedentariness which is ever more rooted in our society.
This would guarantee a correct physical and cognitive development, and positive influences as regards social relations and character.
In this article our aim is not talking about what to do in that hour, but we sum up the following fundamental rules:
- Physical activity and daily movement;
- Two hours a day;
- Several motor schemes;
- Some hours of spontaneous and funny games;
A final remark: movement does not go on vacation! Places, activities and friend group can change but daily training and movement don’t.
Question? Leave a comment here. We will reply as soon as possible!